Exposure in the SDA Journal
If you’ve wondered how to submit your art for consideration for publication in the Exposure section of the Surface Design Journal here are some new guidelines from editor Patricia Malacher:
The Exposure section in the Surface Design Journal is a valuable benefit for SDA members. Each issue features up to six images of members’ work, placing it before an international audience. Images are selected from a pool of submissions sent to the editorial office.
• A CD containing 4 to 6 professionally photographed high resolution images of recent work (at least 300 dpi, 8 x 10-inch size range). TIFFs are preferred but JPGs are acceptable.
• Photo identification by a number (1, 2, 3, 4) AND a file name that includes artist’s name and a clue to the image rather than a numerical code. For example: “picasso.polkadots” rather than “100001.”
• Prints of the images submitted. Contact sheets are OK with no image smaller than 3 x 3 inches. These can be printed on ordinary 8.5 x 11 paper.
• A printed list of images numbered to match the numbers on the digital files. This list should include full caption information for each piece:
• Artist’s name
• Title of work
• Materials, process, size
• Date of completion
• Collection, installation site, or source of commission, if relevant
• Photo credit
• Resume and artist statement
• Materials are not returned unless accompanied by an SASE with sufficient postage.
Add any information that would help a designer understand the image—e.g., if there is black around the edge of the photo, is it background or part of the work? Incomplete submissions will not be accepted and will be returned only if an SASE is provided.
Submissions should be mailed to Patricia Malarcher, SDJ Editor, Editorial Office, 93 West Ivy Lane, Englewood, NJ 07631.
Questions: contact Patricia at: email@example.com